Testimonial:Just wanted to pass along my thanks for your quick resolution to my contract wording issue. The event went flawlessly and was a great success! When I have a need again for event insurance I will be sure to use you. Kirk Rollman
Protect Yourself At Your Conference Event!
A conference is generally understood as a meeting of group of people to discuss a particular topic where ideas are presented and information is exchanged among experts.
An academic conference is a gathering of scientists or academicians, where research findings are presented or a workshop is conducted.
A business conference is held for people working in the same company or industry. They come together to discuss new trends and opportunities pertaining to the business and network and make connections to assist in building and growing their businesses.
A trade conference takes place on a larger scale. Besides businessmen, there are members of the public who come to network with vendors and made new connections. Such a conference usually consists of workshops and white paper presentations.
Often, a conference will have a keynote speaker who will deliver the keynote speech. These are common at academic and business conferences and the speakers chosen are eminent personalities in their related field.
2 Simple but Essential Items You Must Get Right When Planning a Conference.
(1) Date, time, and purpose clearly communicated. While some companies have sufficiently large conference rooms to accommodate your event, an external meeting place is most commonly needed. Is the facility you want available during the time you want to plan the conference. Often, conferences are held at hotels. The advantage of using a conference room in a hotel is that accommodation costs might be offered at a discounted rate if your participants are from out-of-town. Have you given enough notice to potential participants of the conference?
(2) The place you are holding the conference is safe, appropriate, and easily accessible. Many conferences are held in centers with sophisticated video conferencing equipment and dedicated presentation facilities. While a conference hall should already be outfitted with audio-visual equipment and communication infrastructure like speakers and microphones, conference planners shouldn’t forget about the biggest burden on a network’s infrastructure–the conference participants.
- With people carrying numerous smart devices, have you made sure there is there wi-fi connectivity and technical infrastructure to support the number of attendees without overloading the system?
- Does the building have sufficient air-conditioning or heating, depending on the climate, season, and number of conference attendees?
- Are separate break-out and ancillary meeting rooms required? Does the venue have catering facilities? Snacks and meals will be needed. For the keynote speech, a private dining room is preferred.
- Is there ample provision for car parking? Is there security on the premise?
It’s the 80/20 rule in action. If you get these 2 things rights, 80% of all the problems you can have with a holding a conference are eliminated. However, accidents do happen.
For the few days or week of your conference, conference venues often require the conference planner to provide insurance coverage. The hotel or conference hall does not want their insurance plan to provide the first line of defense.
As conference planner, you shouldn’t pay hundreds of dollars or waste hours trying to obtain cheap special event insurance through a broker or agent. Instead, you’re three minutes away from having the best conference insurance coverage you need.